The Ayer Ayer Public Library was the first tax supported library in the state of Illinois. It was named for Amos K. Ayer, who pledged to give the library $200 a year for ten years for the purchase of books.
This building is located in a small historical town of 2,000. Construction began in 1936 and was completed in 1939. The Armory is currently the home of the HHD 1144th Transportation Motor Transport Battalion.