National Register of Historical Places

Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture.

40-Wall-Street-(The-Trump-Building)

40 Wall Street (The Trump Building)

New York, New York, 10005
40 Wall Street is a 70-story skyscraper originally known as The Bank of the Manhattan Company building. It was completed in 1930 after only 11 months of construction, and was the tallest building in the world for less than 2 months.

Absecon-Light

Absecon Light

Atlantic City, Atlantic County, New Jersey, 08401
Absecon Light is the fifth tallest lighthouse in the United States. Its beason was first lighted on January 15, 1857. Although it is no longer an active navigational aid, the light still shines every night.

Academy-of-Music

Academy of Music

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102
Opened in 1857, the building is the oldest grand opera house in America used for its original purpose. It is the home of the Pennsylvania Ballet and the Philadelphia Opera Company.

Acoma-Pueblo

Acoma Pueblo

, Cibola County, New Mexico
Also known as "Sky City", Acoma Pueblo is a American Indian site built on top of a 367-foot (112 m) sandstone mesa. It is regarded as the oldest continuously inhabited community in the United States.

Adler-Planetarium-and-Astronomy-Museum

Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum

Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, 60605
The Adler opened in 1930 and was the first planetarium in the Western Hemisphere. Donated to the city of Chicago by Max Adler, the planetarium was an attraction at the great Chicago exposition of 1933-34.

Aloha-Tower

Aloha Tower

Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813
Opened on September 11, 1926, the Aloha Tower is a guiding beacon welcoming vessels to the City of Honolulu. The tower is 10 stories tall (184 feet (56 m)) topped with a 40 feet (12 m) tall flag mast.

Ames-Monument

Ames Monument

, Albany County, Wyoming
Dedicated to brothers Oakes Ames and Oliver Ames, the monument is a four-sided, random ashlar pyramid, 60 feet square at the base and 60 feet high, constructed of light-colored native granite. It was completed in 1882.

Antietam-National-Battlefield

Antietam National Battlefield

Sharpsburg, Washington County, MaryLand, 21782
23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after twelve hours of savage combat on September 17, 1862. The Battle of Antietam ended the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia’s first invasion into the North.

Arlington-Memorial-Bridge

Arlington Memorial Bridge

Washington, District of Columbia
The bridge's construction was authorized by Congress on February 24, 1925 and formally opened on January 16, 1932. Designed by architectural firm McKim, Mead and White, the neo-classical bridge is 2,163 feet (660 m) long.

Ball's-Bluff-Battlefield-and-National-Cemetery

Ball's Bluff Battlefield and National Cemetery

Waterford, Loudoun County, Virginia
The Battle of Ball's Bluff, on October 21, 1861, was a small but embarrassing defeat for the Union early in the American Civil War. The land for a cemetery was donated in 1865. It is the smallest national cemetery in the United States.

Baltimore-Civil-War-Museum

Baltimore Civil War Museum

Baltimore, MaryLand, 21202
Originally the President Street Station, this site and the rail line were key elements of the "underground railroad" by which many slaves escaped to the north before the Civil War.

Barnegat-Lighthouse

Barnegat Lighthouse

Barnegat Light, Ocean County, New Jersey, 08006
Barnegat Lighthouse, colloquially known as "Old Barney", is located on the northern tip of Long Beach Island. Situated along the Barnegat Inlet, it is the fourth tallest lighthouse in the United States.

Barton-Hall-(Cunningham-Plantation)

Barton Hall (Cunningham Plantation)

, Colbert County, Alabama
Built for Armstead Barton in the 1840s, this antebellum, privately-owned home is an unusually sophisticated Greek Revival style plantation house with a small Doric entrance and limestone-paved rear courtyard.

Bathhouse-Row

Bathhouse Row

Hot Springs, Garland County, Arkansas, 71901
Bathhouse Row is a collection of bathhouses which were included in 1832 when the Federal Government took over the land to preserve 47 natural hot springs and their area of origin on the lower slopes of Hot Springs Mountain.

Bering-Expedition-Landing-Site

Bering Expedition Landing Site

, Alaska
According to the U.S. National Park Service, this is where the first attempts at contact between Europeans and Alaskan natives were made by naturalist Georg W. Steller, surgeon aboard Vitus Bering's St. Peter.

Bethel-Baptist-Church,-Parsonage,-and-Guardhouse

Bethel Baptist Church, Parsonage, and Guardhouse

Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama, 35207
The Bethel Baptist Church, Parsonage, and Guardhouse are associated with the first organized movement of the modern civil rights movement. The Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights was headquartered here from 1956-1961.

Big-Well

Big Well

Greensburg, Kiowa County, Kansas, 67054
The Greensburg Well is water well that was designed to provide water for the Santa Fe and Rock Island railroads. It is billed as the world's largest hand-dug well, at 109 feet deep and 32 feet in diameter.

Blackbeard's-Castle-(Skytsborg)

Blackbeard's Castle (Skytsborg)

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Danish soldiers used Skytsborg as a vantage point to spot enemy ships. It has become part of the lore of the island that Blackbeard used the tower as a lookout for his own purposes of piracy.

Boll-Weevil-Monument

Boll Weevil Monument

Enterprise, Coffee County, Alabama, 36330
The city erected the statue because the destruction of the cotton crop led to agricultural diversity and more prosperity than had ever come from cotton alone. It is said to be the only statue to an insect pest in the world.

Boston-Public-Library

Boston Public Library

Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, 02116
The Boston Public Library is the largest municipal public library in the United States and is the third-largest library in the country. It was the first public library to allow people to borrow books and other materials and take them home to read and use.

Cape-Hatteras-Light

Cape Hatteras Light

Buxton, Dare County, North Carolina, 27920
Located on Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is recognized as the tallest lighthouse in America. It is still in operation. The light at the top is automated and is visible every seven seconds.

Carnegie-Public-Library

Carnegie Public Library

East Liverpool, Columbiana County, Ohio, 43920
Opened and dedicated on May 8, 1902, the library was built using a donation from Andrew Carnegie. It was built of Roman mottled buff-brown brick trimmed with white tile.

Carpenter's-Hall

Carpenter's Hall

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Build in 1770 and owned by oldest trade guild in America, Carpenter's Hall was the site of the First Continental Congress in 1774. Today it is part of Independence National Historical Park.

Cataldo-Mission

Cataldo Mission

Cataldo, Kootenai County, Idaho
Also called the Mission of the Sacred Heart, the church is the oldest standing building in Idaho. It was designed by Antonio Ravalli, who made sure that it was constructed by local Indians so that they could feel part of the church.

Cathedral-Basilica-of-Saints-Peter-and-Paul

Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The cathedral was dedicated on November 20, 1864 by James Frederick Wood, the first Archbishop of Philadelphia. It is modeled after the Lombard Church of St. Charles (San Carlo al Corso) in Rome and is of the Roman-Corinthian style of architecture.

Cathedral-of-Saint-Paul,-National-Shrine-of-the-Apostle-Paul

Cathedral of Saint Paul, National Shrine of the Apostle Paul

St. Paul, Minnesota, 55102
The Cathedral of Saint Paul is a Roman Catholic cathedral. The design was inspired by French Renaissance architecture. The dome of the cathedral is 76 feet (23 m) in diameter and 186 feet (57 m) high.

Cherokee-National-Capitol

Cherokee National Capitol

Tahlequah, Cherokee County, Oklahoma, 74464
The Cherokee National Capitol served as the headquarters for Cherokee government from the time of its completion until 1907 when Oklahoma became a State. The structure is fairly well preserved and is a late example of the Italianate style.

Chicago-Water-Tower

Chicago Water Tower

Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, 60611
The Water Tower was built in 1869 by architect William W. Boyington from yellowing Joliet limestone. It is 154 feet (47 m) tall. Today, it serves as the Chicago Convention and Tourism Bureau Visitor's Welcome Center.

Churchill-Downs

Churchill Downs

Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, 40208
Famous for hosting the annual Kentucky Derby, Churchill Downs filled a void in Louisville left by the closing of Oakland and Woodlawn, two earlier race courses. The twin spires atop the grandstands are used as a symbol of the track and the Derby.

Claymont-Stone-School

Claymont Stone School

Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware
The Claymont Stone School, also known as Naaman’s Creek School #1, is a historic schoolhouse built in 1805. The original building was renovated in 1905 and expanded to become a two room schoolhouse. It was used until 1925.

Columbus-Park

Columbus Park

Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, 60644
The 135-acre Columbus Park is considered the masterpiece of nationally renowned landscape architect, Jens Jensen, who is recognized as creator of Prairie style landscape design.

Coolidge-Homestead

Coolidge Homestead

Plymouth Notch, Windsor County, Vermont, 05056
The Coolidge Homestead was the childhood home of the thirtieth President of the United States, Calvin Coolidge. He lived there from 1876 to 1887. The homestead is part of the Calvin Coolidge State Historical Site.

Darley-House

Darley House

Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware
This is the former home of world-renowned illustrator F. O. C. Darley (1821-1888). Built in the late 18th century and enlarged several times, the house was purchased by Darley in 1863 and renamed "The Wren’s Nest."

Episcopal-Church-of-the-Nativity

Episcopal Church of the Nativity

Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama, 35801
This church was built in the Gothic Revival style in 1859. It is noted as one of the most pristine examples of Ecclesiological Gothic architecture in the South. It is also one of the least-altered structures by architect Frank Wills.

F.-Scott-Fitzgerald-House-aka-Summit-Terrace

F. Scott Fitzgerald House aka Summit Terrace

St. Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota, 55102
The design of the rowhouse was called the "New York Style", although the general flavor is Romanesque Revival. In July and August of 1919, this was where Fitzgerald rewrote the manuscript that became his first novel, This Side of Paradise.

Fairfax-Stone-Historical-Monument

Fairfax Stone Historical Monument

Davis, West Virginia
The Fairfax Stone was a surveyor's marker placed to settle a boundary dispute and to determine the proprietorship and boundaries of a large tract of largely unsurveyed land in the colonies of Maryland and Virginia during the Survey of 1736/37.

First-Bank-of-the-United-States

First Bank of the United States

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19106
Chartered in 1791, the First Bank of the United States was erected in the neo-classical style to echo the democracy of Ancient Greece. The bank building was restored for the Bicentennial in 1976.

Flatiron-Building

Flatiron Building

New York, New York, 10010
The Flatiron Building was designed by Chicago's Daniel Burnham in the Beaux-Arts style. The 22-story building, with a height of 285 ft (87 meters), is one of the oldest surviving skyscrapers in Manhattan.

Florida-State-Capitol-(Old)

Florida State Capitol (Old)

Tallahassee, Leon County, Florida, 32301
Florida's Old State Capitol Building reopened to the public in 1982. It now serves as a museum covering events in Florida life and government. It is part of the Capitol Complex, which includes the new Capitol and other buildings.

Fort-Mifflin

Fort Mifflin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Originally called Fort Island Battery, Fort Mifflin was commissioned in 1771. During the American Revolutionary War, the fort was a centerpiece of the British conquest of Philadelphia.

Fort-Toulouse-Fort-Jackson

Fort Toulouse Fort Jackson

, Elmore County, Alabama
The fort was first established in 1717 by the French to counter the growing influence of the British colonies of Georgia and Carolina. It was named for Louis-Alexandre de Bourbon, comte de Toulouse. Fort Jackson was later built on the site.

Fort-Union-Trading-Post-National-Historic-Site

Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site

Williston, Williams County, North Dakota, 58801
This was the most important fur trading post on the upper Missouri until 1867. Visitors included John James Audubon, George Catlin, Father Pierre DeSmet, Sitting Bull, Karl Bodmer, and Jim Bridger.

Foster-Auditorium

Foster Auditorium

Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, 35487
This multi-purpose facility was built in 1939 and is most famous as the site of of the "stand in the schoolhouse door" incident. On June 11, 1963, Governor George C. Wallace blocked the entrance to prevent registration of African Americans.

Girard-College

Girard College

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19121
This boarding school teaches grades 1 through 12 on a 43 acre (170,000 m²) campus. It grants full scholarships to eligible students from families with limited financial resources, headed by a single parent or guardian.

Gloria-Dei-(Old-Swede's)-Church

Gloria Dei (Old Swede's) Church

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19147
Founded in 1677, Gloria Dei is the second oldest Swedish church in the United States. The building is Pennsylvania's oldest church building, having been completed sometime around 1700.

Grove-Arcade

Grove Arcade

Asheville, Buncombe County, North Carolina, 28801
Built by Dr. Edwin Wiley Grove between 1926 and 1929, the elaborate, Tudoresque building occupies a full city block with glazed terra cotta covering its reinforced concrete and steel structure.

Hawaii-State-Capitol

Hawaii State Capitol

Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813
The Hawaii State Capitol opened on March 15, 1969 and replaced the former statehouse, 'Iolani Palace. It is an American adaptation of the Bauhaus style called Hawaiian international architecture.

Illinois-State-Capitol

Illinois State Capitol

Springfield, Sangamon County, Illinois, 62701
The Illinois capitol is the tallest non-skyscraper capitol, even exceeding the height of the United States Capitol in Washington, DC. The building itself is shaped like a Latin cross aligned to the major points of the compass.

Indiana-Statehouse

Indiana Statehouse

Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, 46204
The Indiana Statehouse is laid out in the shape of a cross. A large central rotunda with a glass domed ceiling connects the four wings. The structure is four stories high. Built in 1888, it is the fifth building to house the state government.

Jabez-Lamar-Monroe-Curry-Home

Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry Home

, Talladega County, Alabama
Curry was a lawyer, politician, and educator who encouraged the expansion and improvement of the public school system and the establishment of training schools for teachers throughout the south.

Kansas-State-Capitol

Kansas State Capitol

Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas, 66612
Home to one of the largest capitol domes in the United States, the Kansas dome is the only one in the United States that continues to offer dome tours. There are 296 steps leading up from the fifth floor to the top of the dome.

Kentucky-State-Capitol

Kentucky State Capitol

Frankford, Franklin County, Kentucky, 40601
The capitol was designed by Frank Mills Andrews. He used the Beaux-Arts style and included many classical French interior designs. The staircases, for example, are replicas of those that appear in the Opéra Garnier in Paris.

Kenworthy-Hall-a.k.a.-Carlisle-Martin-House

Kenworthy Hall a.k.a. Carlisle-Martin House

, Perry County, Alabama
It is the only surviving residential example of Richard Upjohn's Italian villa style that was especially designed to suit the Southern climate and the plantation lifestyle. The building was designed and constructed for Edward Kenworthy Carlisle.

Louisiana-State-Capitol

Louisiana State Capitol

Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge County, Louisiana, 70802
At 450 feet (137 meters) tall, with 34 stories, it is the tallest capitol building in the United States, the tallest building in Baton Rouge, and the seventh-tallest building in Louisiana.

Maine-State-House

Maine State House

Augusta, Kennebec County, Maine, 04333
About 150 feet (46 m) in length, including the central portion with columns and cupola and two wings extending north and south, the building's cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1829.

Maryland-State-House

Maryland State House

Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, MaryLand, 21401
The Maryland State House is the oldest state capitol in continuous legislative use, dating to 1772. It houses the Maryland General Assembly. The capitol has the distinction of being topped by the largest wooden dome built without nails in the nation.

Massachusetts-State-House

Massachusetts State House

Boston, Massachusetts, 02133
The building is situated on 6.7 acres (27,000 m2) of land on top of Beacon Hill in Boston. The dome is topped with a pine cone, symbolizing both the importance of Boston's lumber industry in the early colonial days.

Merchants'-Exchange-Building

Merchants' Exchange Building

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19106
Upon its completion in 1834, the building became the financial center for Philadelphia, housing commercial houses, marine insurance companies, the Philadelphia Board of Trade, and the Philadelphia Stock Exchange.

Michigan-State-Capitol

Michigan State Capitol

Lansing, Ingham County, Michigan, 48933
The Michigan State Capitol is 267 feet (81.3 m) from the ground to the tip of finial/spire above the dome. The building is 420 feet (130 m) and two inches (128 m) long and 273 feet (83 m) and 11 inches (83.4 m) wide.

Minnesota-State-Capitol

Minnesota State Capitol

St. Paul, Minnesota, 55155
The building was modeled after Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome. The unsupported marble dome is the second largest in the world, after Saint Peter's. Construction of the building was completed in 1905.

Mississippi-State-Capitol

Mississippi State Capitol

Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi, 39201
Known as the "New Capitol," this landmark was completed in 1903 as a replacement for the "Old Capitol" which now serves as a museum. The building currently is home to the state legislature and Governor's office.

Montana-State-Capitol

Montana State Capitol

Helena, Lewis and Clark County, Montana, 59601
The building, constructed of Montana sandstone and granite, is in Greek neoclassical architectural style. The exterior of the dome is covered in copper. Atop the dome is a statue of a woman affectionately dubbed "Lady Liberty."

Museum-of-Ceramics

Museum of Ceramics

East Liverpool, Columbiana County, Ohio, 43920
Operated by the Ohio Historical Society, the Museum of Ceramics has the country's largest public display of Lotus Ware. It occupies the former city post office, which was built in 1909.

Nebraska-State-Capitol

Nebraska State Capitol

Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska, 68508
The Indiana limestone structure draws on both Classical and Gothic architectural traditions, but represents major innovations in state capitol design. The structure is nicknamed "The Tower of the Plains."

Nevada-State-Capitol

Nevada State Capitol

Carson City, Nevada, 89701
Constructed between 1869 and 1871, the Nevada State Capitol served all three branches of the state government for over 50 years. Today, the Capitol continues to serve the Governor, and contains historical exhibits on the second floor.

New-York-State-Capitol

New York State Capitol

Albany, New York, 12224
The Capitol was constructed between 1867 and 1899 and inspired by the City Hall in Paris, France. The building is constructed in both the Romanesque and Renaissance revival styles.

Northern-Pacific-Depot---Hinckley-Fire-Museum

Northern Pacific Depot - Hinckley Fire Museum

Hinckley, Pine County, Minnesota, 55037
The building was originally built by the St. Paul and Duluth Railroad, later the Northern Pacific Railway. The depot is now the Hinckley Fire Museum. The museum interprets the history of the fire that destroyed six towns.

Old-State-House

Old State House

Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, 06103
Completed in 1796, the building was the state capitol until 1878. Exhibits focus on the history of Hartford and important events in Connecticut history.. The third floor of the building houses the Museum of Natural and Other Curiosities.

Owen-J.-

Owen J. "Donie" Bush Stadium

Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana
This endangered landmark was home to the Indianapolis Indians, a minor league ball for many decades. It was also home to a few Negro League teams, as well as a Continental Football League team, the Indianapolis Capitols.

Pennsylvania-Academy-of-Fine-Arts

Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts was founded in 1805 by painter and scientist Charles Willson Peale, sculptor William Rush, and other artists and business leaders. It is the oldest art museum and school in the nation.

Pennsylvania-Eastern-State-Penitentiary

Pennsylvania Eastern State Penitentiary

Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, 19130
Designed by John Haviland and opened in 1829, Eastern State is considered to be the world's first true penitentiary.

Pennsylvania-Hospital

Pennsylvania Hospital

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19107
The Pennsylvania Hospital was founded in 1751 by Benjamin Franklin and Dr. Thomas Bond, making it the oldest hospital in the United States. The Pine Building was the original hospital and was based on the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Philadelphia-City-Hall

Philadelphia City Hall

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The world's tallest masonry building, Philadelphia's City Hall is 548 feet (167 m) tall including the statue of William Penn. The statue is the tallest atop any building in the world.

Philadelphia-Museum-of-Art:-Ruth-and-Raymond-G.-Perelman-Building

Philadelphia Museum of Art: Ruth and Raymond G. Perelman Building

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19130
Formerly the Fidelity Life Insurance Building, the Philadelphia Museum of Art bought the property and renovated it for use as an annex.

Physick-House

Physick House

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19106
The building was once the home of Philip Syng Physick, who is known as the father of American surgery. From his home medical office, he treated many well-known patients including Dolly Madison, President Andrew Jackson and Chief Justice John Marshall.

Pioneer-Courthouse-(Custom-House-and-Post-Office)

Pioneer Courthouse (Custom House and Post Office)

Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, 97204
The Pioneer Courthouse is a federal courthouse in Portland, Oregon, United States. Built beginning in 1869, the structure is the oldest federal building in the Pacific Northwest, and the second oldest west of the Mississippi River.

Pioneer-Settlement-for-Creative-Arts

Pioneer Settlement for Creative Arts

Barberville, Volusia County, Florida, 32105
Anchored around the Central School of Barberville, many historic structures have been moved to the grounds. Other structures have been built on site to demonstrate historical trades.

Point-Montara-Light

Point Montara Light

Moss Beach, San Mateo County, California, 94038
Established in February 1875, the current tower was first erected in 1881 in Massachusetts as the Mayo Beach Lighthouse. It was moved and rebuilt as the Point Montara Light station in 1928.

Ponce-de-Leon-Inlet-Light

Ponce de Leon Inlet Light

Ponce Inlet, Volusia County, Florida, 32127
Originally called Mosquito Inlet Light, the lighthouse at Ponce de Leon Inlet, at 175 feet in height, is the tallest lighthouse in Florida and the one of the tallest in the United States.

Reading-Terminal

Reading Terminal

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19107
The Reading Terminal is a complex composed of three parts: the Reading Terminal Headhouse, the Reading Terminal Trainshed, and the Reading Terminal Market. The station opened on January 29, 1893.

Robert-S.-Abbott-House

Robert S. Abbott House

Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
From 1926 until his death in 1940, Robert S. Abbott, the most successful Black publisher of his era and founder of the Chicago Defender newspaper, lived in part of this large Queen Anne brick duplex.

Robinson-House

Robinson House

Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware, 19703
The Robinson House was built on the site of the original settlement on Naaman’s Creek in 1723. George Washington, General Anthony Wayne, the Marquis de Lafayette, and “Light Horse” Harry Lee were all guests at the Robinson House.

Salinas-Pueblo-Missions-National-Monument

Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument

Gran Quivira, New Mexico
These austere yet beautiful reminders of this earliest contact between Pueblo Indians and Spanish Colonials consists of the ruins of four mission churches: Quarai, Abó, Gran Quivira and the partially excavated pueblo of Las Humanas.

Samuel-Powel-House

Samuel Powel House

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19106
Samuel Powel served as the last mayor of Philadelphia under English rule and was the first mayor of the city after the creation of the United States. The house is considered one of the best existing examples of a Georgian Colonial townhouse.

Stan-Hywet-Hall-and-Gardens

Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens

Akron, Summit County, Ohio, 44303
The estate was built between 1912 and 1915 for F. A. Seiberling, founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. He gave it the name Stan Hywet, Old English for stone quarry. It is now a historic house museum and gardens, open seasonally to the public.

Tennessee-State-Capitol

Tennessee State Capitol

Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, 37243
The cornerstone for the building was laid on July 4, 1845, and construction finished in 1859. The Capitol was designed by noted architect William Strickland, who is buried in the North Wing.

The-Union-League-of-Philadelphia

The Union League of Philadelphia

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102
The Union League was established in 1862 to promote loyalty to the Union and the policies of Abraham Lincoln. The classic French Renaissance-styled League House dates back to 1865 and is listed in the National Historic Register.

U.S.S.-Olympia

U.S.S. Olympia

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Olympia is the sole floating survivor of the U.S. Navy's Spanish-American War fleet. It was from her deck, during the Battle of Manila Bay, that Commodore George Dewey spoke the famous words "You may fire when ready, Gridley."

Union-Station-and-Trainshed

Union Station and Trainshed

Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, 36104
Montgomery Union Station and its trainshed were built by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and opened in 1898. In 1979, Union Station was closed, and after a period of disuse, Union Station was renovated for commercial tenants.

Vermont-State-House

Vermont State House

Montpelier, Washington County, Vermont, 05633
The Vermont State House is the capitol and seat of Vermont General Assembly. The current Greek Revival structure is the third building on the same site to serve as the State House. It was designed in 1857 and opened in 1859.

Waverly-Hills-Sanatorium

Waverly Hills Sanatorium

Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, 40272
Opened in 1926 for tuberculosis patients, the hospital was often overcrowded. It was also used as a geriatrics hospital, but was closed in 1981 allegedly due to patient abuse. It is claimed to be the most haunted hospital in the eastern United States.

West-Virginia-State-Capitol

West Virginia State Capitol

Charleston, Kanawha County, West Virginia, 25305
The WV Capitol took eight years to complete. It was constructed in three stages. The west wing was built in 1924-25; the east wing was constructed in 1926-27; and the rotunda connecting the wings was completed in 1930-32.

West-Virginia-State-Penitentiary

West Virginia State Penitentiary

Moundsville, Marshall County, West Virginia, 26041
This gothic structure operated as a penitentiary from 1876 to 1995. Courts ruled that the 5 x 7-foot (2.1 m) cells were cruel and unusual punishment and the prison was closed. The site is now maintained as a tourist attraction and training facility.

Wisconsin-State-Capitol

Wisconsin State Capitol

Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, 53702
Completed in 1917, the building is the fifth to serve as the Wisconsin capitol since the first territorial legislature convened in 1836. The Wisconsin State Capitol is the tallest building in Madison.

Woolworth-Building

Woolworth Building

New York, New York, 10007
The Woolworth Building, at fifty-seven stories, is one of the oldest skyscrapers in New York City. It is still one of the fifty tallest buildings in the United States as well as one of the twenty tallest buildings in New York City.

The United States of America

Map of the United States

Visit our sister site:
Landmark: Earth